Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Taking It To The Next Level!


We have been continuing to be faithful to our trips to the YMCA, well with the exception of yesterday, we just decided that we would sleep in a little bit. I have actually made a little change in my workout routine. I decided on Friday that I would just spend my time swimming laps in the pool instead of doing the treadmill and the bike. So far I have found that the most enjoyment that I have had in my workouts has been the time spent swimming laps. (I have come a long way from swimming one lap and thinking that I was going to die)

Both Friday and today I went straight to the lap pool and swam over ½ mile each day. The sign at the pool says that 36 laps is 1 mile and I swam 23 on Friday and 20 today. I have found that if I swim freestyle on the first length and the backstroke on the way back that I can continue to pretty much stay in motion for a long time without actually stopping to rest.

This seems so much easier on my legs and back as opposed to the treadmill or the stationary bike. And from everything I have ever been taught about swimming, it is supposed to be just about the perfect exercise. So for now, I think that I will spend my hour or so at the YMCA doing just that.

One problem that I discovered was that I had a hard time remembering which lap I was on. Did I just finish lap 15 or just start on it? So I would always err on the conservative side, so it is possible that I have been swimming even more laps than I have been giving myself credit for. To remedy this problem, I did a little research on the Internet and discovered this small lap counter that fits on your finger and can be used with only the thumb and index finger.

This is its description on the web site:

The SportCount Chrono 100 is our top of the line model. It is the best choice for coaches, serious athletes, and racers who need to record multiple lap times. Great for marathon runners, triathletes, and for those who want to monitor races or workouts lap by lap. It also has a PAUSE feature, so you can interrupt your workout without throwing off your timing statistics.

1. Recall up to 100 individual lap times
2. Recall fastest, slowest, average, and total lap times
3. Display split times and lap numbers
4. Total number of laps completed & total lap time
5. Water resistant to 50 meters



Serious athletes, racers, marathon runners, triathletes… sounds just like me doesn’t it!

It should be here next week, I’ll let you know if I am suddenly transformed into a serious athlete:) … Hey what are you laughing about? It could happen! Oh ye of little faith:)

Blessings

3 comments:

judyschoon said...

Seems like you are really enjoying you new endeavor. Things are so much easier when you are having fun at what you are doing...don't you think? judy :)

Pastor Jim said...

I always vote for easier and fun:)

Anonymous said...

I would need the lap counter also, there's no way I could remember which lap I was on! I wish I could swim instead of using the eliptical but chlorine gives me nose bleeds. :-(