Friday, July 24, 2009

Can Embarrassment Be A Motivational Tool?

I think I was just put in my place this morning. I hope that you don’t mind my talking so much about my YMCA experiences, but everything else seems to be going along pretty well, and I can’t let you think that my life is a bed of roses now can I? I would rather share a few of the thorns with you, and besides, they are a lot more fun to write about. Of course, I could tell you about the challenges of finding some of the address around here, or about how far out and remote some of my parishioners live, (Thank goodness for my GPS, even though it even gets confused sometimes) but that is a story for another time.

Anyway, back to getting put in my place. First of all, this morning’s workout wasn’t going exceptionally well. Yesterday I had started doing some of the weight training that our trainer at the Y recommended and even though I started VERY easily, I woke up this morning and could barely move my arms. They have never been so sore in my life. (Is this what getting old feels like?) So I decided, no weight training, no bike, no treadmill, just some easy laps in the nice cool water of the pool.

As I started swimming, my arms felt like bricks and never got any better the entire workout. I did manage to swim 19 laps (38 lengths sounds better) in about 50 minutes. (Yes I know I am slow, I think that we already established that fact.) Anyway, about the time I was finishing up, here came a couple of young people a boy and a girl, probably around 16 years old. They got in the same lane together and started swimming laps. I couldn’t believe how rude they were. They had the audacity to swim at least one complete lap for every length of the pool I was swimming. These kids today, couldn’t they tell that the ego of the old guy in the lane next to them was being badly bruised?

So, I figured that after I had swam a half mile and then been embarrassed by a couple of kids that I should probably call it quits for one workout. Thank goodness that tomorrow is Saturday and I can give my body a day of rest from the torments of exercise and my ego a rest from the humiliation.

The good news is that my new toy came today. My Sport Count Chrono 100 has now arrived. Those young whippersnappers better be ready on Monday. Now I am a serious athlete, the package says so:)

Blessings

No comments: