Monday, July 20, 2009

Humble Beginnings?

Yesterday after church we were invited back to the Oak Grove church for a pitch-in dinner to welcome Karen and I to the church. I must say that it was really a great dinner. Of course the food was excellent, but what made this dinner stand out in my mind was the way that people stayed around after they had eaten. Most dinners after church seem to follow the pattern that as soon as the first person says that they need to leave, suddenly everyone is packing up and getting ready to go home.

After dinner was over, people sat around and were talking and relaxing. One of the members brought out his guitar and started playing a few gospel songs and within minutes he had 6-10 people standing around singing along. I couldn’t let this opportunity slide by, so I found my way over and joined in for about an hour or more of singing and playing music. (I should have ran and got my guitar)

In reality, Karen and I finally left at 3:30 (the dinner began at noon) because I had a 4:00 visitation scheduled and I was about out of time. When I returned from the visitation at 5:30, there were still people there although it looked like things were beginning to break up.

The best thing that came from the dinner was the commitment of all of those who were singing to come on Sunday and we are going to sing “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” as a special song during worship.

Could this be the beginning of a praise team or choir?

Blessings

No comments: