Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I'm Sore Already!


This morning I fulfilled a promise that I made to myself when we found out that we were moving to this area. Yesterday afternoon, Karen and I went down to the YMCA and signed up to become members. It was a fairly painless process and we left feeling satisfied that we had accomplished at least that much. This morning, however, at 6:30 AM when the alarm went off, that was a different story. The last thing that I wanted to do at that moment was to get up and drive down to the Y, but regardless of what I was thinking, we got up and headed that direction anyway.

I started off by spending 25 minutes on the treadmill. I must say that this treadmill looks more like the control panel of a space ship than a piece of workout equipment. It had a built in fan which was nice for an old fat boy, and it also had a built in TV. Wow, now you can exercise and get caught up on your favorite shows at the same time. When I had finished it told me that I had gone somewhere around 1 ½ miles (is that all?) and burned about 5 calories:( (Maybe it was more than that, but it sure didn’t seem like much for all that work)

Then we stopped by the gym and went in and shot some baskets. I was surprised at how much of a workout that was (it’s been a long time) and then went into the pool.

It was my plan to swim a few laps and start building some endurance. I know that swimming is one of the best exercises that you can do. Unfortunately, I only managed to swim one lap, up and back, and I thought I was going to die. I was breathing hard, my arms were sore and I was glad I was ending in the shallow end so that I didn’t drown. (That would have been an exciting way for the life guard to have started his day)

We ended up then going into the “Therapy Pool.” Oh, now that was nice, the water was over 90 degrees and it felt good just to relax.

All in all we spent a little over an hour at the Y this morning and tomorrow Karen and I are both scheduled to meet with a trainer for our initial orientation. That should be interesting:)

My plan is to try to go Monday through Friday and take Saturday and Sunday off. We will have to wait and see how strong the resolve and will power are. But at least we passed the test of Day 1, I’ll let you know how day 2 goes:)

Blessings

2 comments:

judyschoon said...

Good for you. Your trainer will be a big help. Chrissy's sister Stacey use to be the fitness director at the Ithaca Y. She liked working with the people. I get plenty of wateraerobic exercise but I really should get some weight bearing exercises too. It would help my bones. WA doesn't do that.

Unknown said...

The best advice I can give you is to not go every day... make it 4 days a week or so to give your body time to heal in between workouts.