Thursday, June 4, 2009

Wednesday Night Community Dinners


I think that if you have been following my blog for any length of time, or if you happen to fall into the category of family, you know that I have a tendency to think way too much. Well, if I did so before, I assure you that this time of transition for me has provoked a great deal of thought and reflection on almost everything that has happened over the past few years. Which brings me to my subject for today, food, which of course is one of my favorite topics:)

However, I don’t want to talk about food in general, today I want to talk about our Wednesday Night Community Dinners at church. As I have reflected back over my time here in Crothersville, I think that this is the ministry that I am most proud of on a great many levels.

These dinners have been going strong for about 4 years now. They began on a suggestion of one of our parishioners after the tragic rape and murder of Kati Colman, one of our local young girls. The thought was to provide a place for the kids to come on Wednesday evening and while at the church, we would provide them, with a meal. Well, unfortunately the idea of the youth gathering completely fizzled, but what we found were many adults and senior citizens that enjoyed coming out, sitting and talking and enjoying a home cooked meal. Thus our Wednesday Night Community Dinner was born.

The funny thing that we found was that the church was remarkably blessed by our efforts. All of the food was donated and we found that most people paid a significantly greater amount than the $1.50/person or $5.00/family donation that was asked for. The church suddenly found an extra $700-1000 per month of revenue streaming into the church. What a blessing! I remember the first few months after I began my ministry here, receiving a call that the insurance for the church was due at the end of the month and there was no money to pay it. After we began our dinners, that account has never lacked for funds again. In addition, the dinners served as the inspiration to purchase our new Fellowship Hall, which was another source of pride as I reflect back on my years here in this community.

As a pastor, sometimes we initiate plans and programs only to watch as they disappear after you leave. However, I am confident that these Wednesday night dinners will continue for many years to come. First of all, because they were inspired from within the congregation, and driven by the parishioners, they go on very nicely whether I am there or away at Seminary as I have been for most of last year on Wednesday nights. And second, because I know that the people of the community really appreciate the ministry of the dinners and would miss them greatly if they disappeared.

After the tremendous tragedy that our little community suffered, I feel that theses dinners and our church has played a role in the healing. I believe that if we simply try to follow where God leads, we may be surprised at the work the Holy Spirit can do in healing a heartsick community.

Blessings

No comments: