Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mourning the loss of an old friend...

I didn’t mention it yesterday, but we lost a dear member of our family. At 3:30 PM on June 16th 2009, the tow truck came and took our 1991 Blue Chevy Corsica to it’s final resting place. While this might seem like a trivial matter to you, I must tell you that anyone who knows our family will tell you that it was anything but a trivial issue.

We put over 250,000 miles on that car. Both kids learned to drive in it, both kids wrecked it and both kids nearly killed all of us in that car. In all of those years it always started very reliably, even in the sub zero days when we had too much junk in the garage to give it a warm place to spend the night. It didn’t seem to mind very much, but it did moan and groan a lot when the temperatures dropped below zero.

We had to replace the right quarter panel twice. Once because Ben hit a dog on a trip home from Illinois, and the second time when someone backed into it in a parking lot. We had to replace the alternator about 75 times, well perhaps that is an exaggeration, but that seemed to be it’s main weakness.

All in all, it was the most reliable car that we ever had and it will certainly be missed. When I came back into the house after watching the tow truck as it left the driveway and traveled out of sight, I found Karen sobbing in the living room, angry because I put our dear friend out of its misery. I did try to point out to her that she was the one who told me to call the tow truck, but she pointed out that I haven’t listened to her in 30 years, why did I have to choose that moment to start. I’m afraid that I didn’t have any way to answer that comment without getting deeper into trouble. (Sometimes it is best to simply keep your mouth shut.)

Today has been a better day. The pain of our loss has lessened, but we did strain to see if we could catch a glimpse of our old friend as we went past the junk yard, errr uhhh I mean the auto grave yard. I hope that you will keep our loss in your thoughts and prayers. With all of the transitions that we are in the middle of right now, this one seemed to be rather difficult:)

Blessings

No comments: