Sunday, June 14, 2009

So, What Do You Think?

Today was a truly special day. The morning began with a trip out to the Jackson-Washington State Forest in Brownstown for an outdoor worship service with Crothersville and Cana UM churches. I can’t believe how beautiful the day was. Even though it began with the threat of rain, by the time the service started, the sun had come out.

And, the food afterwards, Mmmmmm, that was great. I am certainly going to miss the excellent cooks that are in my two churches, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some pretty good cooks in Corydon as well:)

We are beginning to get down to crunch time. Karen and I have committed to finishing up packing the house by this Friday, even though we really have until next Wednesday before we leave for Annual Conference. We also have Monday and Tuesday the 29th and 30th as our ace in the hole days, just in case we need them for packing.

Next Sunday, Fathers Day, will be our last Sunday with my two churches. I have to admit that I am not looking forward to this service. I really haven’t made up my mind what way to go with my final sermon. I have never done a final sermon before. Do I take the easy way out and just do what I would normally do, and preach the sermon I would preach if I weren’t leaving. Do I address it in the Sermon at all? Do I spend time talking about the journey that we have traveled together? I certainly don’t want to make it about me at all, but on the otherhand, do I ignore the 300 lb Gorilla in the room?

All of you who are so good at giving me advice, I would appreciate your thoughts:)

Blessings!

5 comments:

judyschoon said...

From one that has sat in the congregation on these last sermon days...DO NOT ignore the gorilla. By ignoring the gorillla, it seems like the time together didn't matter that much and I am sure in your case it has. Needs to be a time of honesty, remembrance and if a few tears happen, let them happen. The vow of itinercy is a tough one for both sides. Will be praying for you and your congregations.

Anonymous said...

As a lifelong Methodist, I've heard many final sermons. Don't ignore the gorilla; after all, it's on everyone's mind. But don't focus on it either. The pastors I've had in the past addressed the issue during worship(usually after announcements) but not during the sermon.

Pastor Jim said...

I have to admit that I still haven't figured it out yet, but I think with the excellent advice that I have been given that the answer i am looking for is very close:)

And Nancy, I am impressed that you can remember sermons from previous pastors, I have a hard time remembering what I preached on last Sunday, let alone a worship service or message from years ago LOL But then again you always were pretty smart:)

Unknown said...

Mom is right about not ignoring it. As a kid I can remember being very very sad when pastor's left. Even more so than when I got older. As a kid I didn't really understand what it meant and I thought I would never see my beloved pastor again. I also thought I could never love the next pastor as much as I did the last. But I have fond memories of all of them... as a kid who grew up in the church, make sure to address your leaving on a kid friendly level too... it can be very confusing.

Pastor Jim said...

Thank-you Chrissy! You have given me a great new direction to think about! Thanks for thinking of the kids, Great thought!