Friday, June 26, 2009

Mom Would Have Been Proud...


I must admit that the last few days have been rather momentous. They have been filled with exciting moments and significant milestones. Thursday night at Annual Conference I introduced myself at the Clergy Session to about 1000 clergy members from all over Indiana and a few minutes later the session voted that I should become a Provisional Member of Annual Conference. This has been such a long journey and it feels so rewarding now as I watch it unfold before me. In many ways it feels very surreal.

Then, this morning, I had the opportunity to usher for the first time at an Annual Conference. It really wasn’t much of a big deal, except for when I got to see my good friend Robin again, who was also ushering. But, just having the opportunity to participate in something as important as Annual Conference was a real honor to me.

This afternoon I was introduced to the entire Annual Conference. The auditorium was packed with close to 3000 people and it was exciting to hear my name announced and see my shining head up on the big screen :)

Tonight, however, was the highlight of the Conference so far, I was allowed to help distribute the Communion elements during the Memorial Service. As I mentioned before, I have never done anything at Annual Conference before, other than attend, but walking across the stage, taking Communion, and then helping to distribute the elements to so many people was definitely one of the highlights of my life.

I do want to share with you something that has been greatly on my mind here recently, but especially since I have been here at Annual Conference. I have been thinking that my Mom would have been so very proud of me these past few months, passing the Board of Ordained Ministry, completing Seminary and now preparing to be Commissioned as a Provisional Member of the Indiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. I know that she was always proud of me, but I somehow think that these past few years as I have changed directions in my life, that she may have found great satisfaction in my decision. Since I have been here at Annual Conference, it is a little bit difficult to describe what I have been feeling, but I just have the sense that Mom is looking down with tears of joy in her eyes:)

Tomorrow and Sunday are going to be big days!

Blessings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you yesterday, Jim. Indeed, your Mom would have been very proud of you for all that you have done in the last few years. I am sure she will be beaming with pride as she looks down on the Commissioning service on Sunday morning. Congratulations and best wishes in your new appointment, too.