Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Perfect Christmas... well, just about!


I must say that it is always good to get back home to your own bed, but with that being said, we had a really awesome Christmas. I think that the only thing that could have made it better was to have been able to stay with the family for a little longer. We were actually gone from home for a total of 48 hours, and 12 of those were spent riding in the car, and when you get to be old like me, your body needs a little more recuperation time than that.

While we were in the Quad Cities, we got to see Karen’s brother Tom, who was home visiting from Iraq, and we got to see our nephew Tim and his daughter Natalie who was home visiting from the Air Force.

All I can say is that we had such a good time, and everything went just great, So on a Chevy Chase, scale of a perfect Christmas, I would give this one a 10.

The only bad thing, as I look back over the last couple of days, was the trip home from Illinois yesterday. It was so incredibly foggy, which of course wasn’t bad in the daytime, but when it became dark, there were some very difficult patches of highway. In addition, just as we were about to Indianapolis, I glanced down and our thermostat on the car was almost into the red. OH Nooooooo! So I pulled off at the next exit, unfortunately it was completely 0 visibility and there was NOTHING around. So I turned right, drove about a mile, not even seeing a place to turn around, suddenly the road turned 90 degrees (I almost missed that one) and we drove about another half mile, until we saw a gas station, whoo hooooo, at least we had a place to stop.

I got out and looked under the hood, we have been having a problem with the radiator leaking, but it only had been leaking when the engine was stopped, and then only a very little bit. So I could see that this problem might have been aggravated by the 12 hour journey, so I went into the station, filled up an antifreeze jug, that I had, with water and put that in the car. Problem solved, Thank God! So we were back on the road, Well, not exactly, we then had to find our way back to the Interstate in the fog, which was so intense I couldn’t see where to turn even when I was at a dead stop staring right at the sign with an arrow. But, since there was no one else on the road, we were able to find the turn, get back on the Interstate and continue on home.

All in all, with the exception of that one little challenge, which you tend to expect when all of your cars have 200,000 miles on them, it was a very good Christmas. Now it’s time to get back to work, well after a trip to Cracker Barrel for breakfast!

Blessings

No comments: