Thursday, December 4, 2008

And Miles to go Before I Sleep...

I am truly winding down the last week of this semester, and I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel, albeit a very small light. (I sure hope it’s not an oncoming train on the track!). I think for those of you who know me well, you can sense that this has been by far the most challenging semester that I have ever had. (that includes my years in Chiropractic College) The workload has been extremely high as compared to my past schedules.

The good thing is that one way or another, one week from now it will be finished, so I just have to make it through these last three papers (56 pages of writing) and then I can focus on the Board of Ordained Ministry paperwork. My goal will be to have that completed by the 19th, send it to a few of my colleagues to read it and critique it for me. Hopefully, receive it back from them by December 31st, revise it, and either hit the send button, or hand deliver, (There are different requirements for different parts of the work) by January 2, 2009. (can you believe that the New Year is almost here?)

Then, on January 3rd, Ben and Karen will be taking me to Ohio where I will be leaving at 3:00 AM for El Salvador on the 4th. I return back to Ohio on the 18th, back home to Indiana on the 19th, (thank-you in advances to Terri), write a 15 page paper on my experience and then back to class on January 26th, to begin my final semester.

Of course, out of that list, I left out preparing for worship services on Sunday mornings, preparations for our Annual Christmas program at church, Christmas Eve Service, a trip back home to Illinois at Christmas, and the hundred other small things that pop up in the life of a pastor.

I have to admit that, at times, I look forward and wonder how can I possibly get it all done? But, then I know that God has brought me this far on the journey and God will see me through.

This morning I wanted to share with you my all time favorite poem, it's called "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening." I can’t tell you how often I think of these words when I am feeling tired, worn out, and just unable to go on. If you are unfamiliar with these words by Robert Frost, then I hope that they will bring you as much peace and quiet resolve as they have given me through the years and at the very least, perhaps they will give you a brief moment of rest in your challenging day. For those of you who are already a friend of Robert Frost, then take this moment to pause and refresh, because we all have miles to go before we sleep and miles to go before we sleep.

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

By Robert Frost


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Blessings

No comments: