Monday, December 22, 2008

“Gold Wrapping Paper"


There are very few Sunday’s that go by that I don’t receive a priceless gift from one of the members of my congregation. One child or another will inevitably bring to me, after the service is over, a picture that they have drawn or a letter that they have written to me. I always thank them profusely for their gift, and I fold it neatly and put it in my shirt pocket. I always tell them that I am putting it right next to my heart. (Those of you who, like me, were Hee Haw fans, can probably figure out where that came from)

Of course, you might also be thinking; shouldn’t they have been paying more attention to the service? That’s ok, I am a big fan of learning by osmosis. (Just being there soaking it up) And besides, you would be surprised what these kids do remember, especially when you think that they aren’t paying attention.

Anyway, as I was thinking about these priceless gifts, I was reminded of a story that my good friend Don sent to me. In case you haven’t figured it out about me yet, I love stories, and I enjoy passing the good ones on to anyone who will listen. My custom is, if I haven’t heard it before, then I will pass it on, if I have heard it before, then I assume that you probably have as well, and I usually resist the temptation to pass it along. I thought that this story, especially considering the time of year was just priceless. Enjoy!

“Gold Wrapping Paper"

The story goes that some time ago a mother punished her five year old daughter for wasting a roll of expensive gold wrapping paper. Money was tight and she became even more upset when the child used the gold paper to decorate a box to put under the Christmas tree.

Nevertheless, the little girl brought the gift box to her mother the next morning and then said, “This is for you, Momma.” The mother was embarrassed by her earlier over reaction, but her anger flared again when she opened the box and found it was empty.

She spoke to her daughter in a harsh manner."Don't you know, young lady, when you give someone a present there's supposed to be something inside the package?"

She had tears in her eyes and said, "Oh, Momma, it's not empty! I blew kisses into it until it was full." The mother was crushed. She fell on her knees and put her arms around her little girl, and she begged her forgiveness for her thoughtless anger.

An accident took the life of the child only a short time later, and it is told that the mother kept that gold box by her bed for all the years of her life. Whenever she was discouraged or faced difficult problems she would open the box and take out an imaginary kiss and remember the love of the child who had put it there.

My wish for you this Christmas Season, is that every gift you receive be as precious as the gift this mother received.

Blessings

No comments: