Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hatch, Match, Patch and Dispatch!


I have finally gotten a solid start on my Board questions, I am probably 25% done, so another couple of days work and they should be ready to be sent out to my mentor Ron and a couple of other Ordained Elders, who are good friends, so that they can read through them and share with this not so young wiper snapper where I have gone theologically astray.

On a sad note, one of the brothers of a parishioner passed away yesterday, and the family has asked me to officiate at the service for them. I must say that I always find being invited into the families close circle, at these difficult times, to be such an incredible honor and trust. I pray that I never let any family down who has put their trust in me. I certainly take this responsibility very seriously.

On a lighter note, but in the same vein, one thing that I learned in License to Preach school, is that there are 4 times in the life of your congregation that a pastor simply isn’t allowed to mess up. They are Hatch, Match, Patch and Dispatch. Did you catch that?

First is Hatch, when a child is born, you better be there, and whatever you do don’t mess up the baptism. Second is Match, don’t mess up at the weddings if you have any desire to remain a part of the church, especially if the wedding is for the daughter or granddaughter of the Matriarch of the church. The third is Patch, make sure to be there when people are ill and in the hospital. And, the final is Dispatch, that would be, of course, at the funerals.

Each of these times is fraught with mine fields and pitfalls, but they are also the times when the greatest relationships can be forged.
I hope that everyone has their Christmas preparations about done, You realize that next week at this time, we will just be concluding the Christmas Eve Candle Light Service.

So little to do, and so much time! Wait a minute, reverse that!

Blessings

No comments: