Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas...


We have just about reached the calmness of Christmas Eve. This has always been my favorite night of the year. I can't tell you how many times I have wished that I could simply stop time around 9:00 PM on Christmas Eve. All of the preparations are over. The work is done, and now the time of family and friends has come.

Christmas Eve has always been a magical time for me. Perhaps it is because this was always my families Christmas, perhaps it is because of what this night represents, I don't know for sure, but I have always cherished this night more than any other of the year.

I still remember one Christmas Eve in particular. My family had all gone out to eat earlier in the evening, which had been our tradition for many years,(Well at least up until I began serving a church and needed to be here for Christmas Eve services) After dinner we all went back to my Mom and sisters house to open up our packages and watch the snow begin to pile up in the window. Sometime around 9:00 PM Karen and I took her Mom and Dad back home, which was about a 60 minute round trip across the Quad Cities.

As we started on the way back to my Mom's house, where we were staying that night, we noticed how truly beautiful it was. There was absolutely no one on the road, the snow was falling heavily and every tree branch, sign, and power line was completely covered with snow. The headlights on the car simply sparkled in the snow and I still remember the sound the tires made as they crunched along over the fresh powder. It felt to us as if there were no one else in the world and for a brief moment, all of the fears and troubles and worries simply vanished. It was an absolutely perfect moment that I will never forget.

My wish for you this Christmas Eve is that you are with people that you love, warm, and full, and that this Christmas is the best Christmas that you have ever had!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: