Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm Going to Sing....

I sometimes wonder why I keep putting myself through all of this stress. Maybe I should be asking God why He keeps putting me through it. For some reason I don’t think my Homiletics (preaching) professor likes me. I told you about how after my first sermon I was really hammered by the class because they didn’t agree with my theology. And today, I went back into the lion’s den to do another 3 minute mini sermon.

I began my sermon by singing a 30 second section of a song which says, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Then I went on to make my point and finally finished with the scripture: Choose today who you will serve, as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Very nice. (at least I thought it was)

When it came time to critique my sermon he mentioned about how sometimes a song can be used in place of good exegetical work, (hmmmm the song only lasted 30 seconds for heavens sake) Some of my classmates ummmed and awwwed for at least that much time. Then he said, "I don’t mean Jim, but some folks just shouldn’t sing anytime." He went on to talk about a preacher that he had who couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket who always sang “Old Rugged Cross” at Easter. This explanation went on for about five minutes. So a little later in class during a small group discussion a couple of my classmates commented on my song and said that I should help our group by singing the answer when our time came. I said, "uhhhh didn’t you hear the 5 minute discussion about why you shouldn’t sing in a sermon?" To which they replied, "but he said that he wasn’t talking about you." So maybe I am just being overly sensitive. We prima donna’s can get that way sometimes you know.

Anyway, I actually don’t use music very often during my sermons, but when the moment seems right, I have been known to throw in a song or two. And besides, one thing I have learned about preaching is that you can’t please everyone, so for those of you who are now quaking out of fear that my pride is injured and you will never hear me sing again, (if my Mom were still alive that would be all one of you) Naaaaaaaa, "I'm gonna sing just as long as it takes for a song to make sad, heavy spirits free. I'm gonna keep making music that carries the secret that Jesus is liberty. I'm gonna turn off the sounds that would drag people down to the pit of despondency. With the sweet happy tune He is coming soon for His children like you and me."

Blessings

No comments: