Thursday, October 23, 2008

El Salvador


I sure have been slow about posting on my blog this week. As I know that you are getting tired of hearing, school and preparations for the Commissioning process have been pretty overwhelming. One of the preparations that I have been working on is a Cross Cultural Learning Experience to El Salvador coming up in January. This week I have been busy applying for my passport and getting the necessary forms and medical information filled out.

Let me first share with you what the Cross Cultural Experience is. The administration and faculty at my seminary believe that in order to be full rounded as a pastor, one must have not only book experience, but also personal experience with cultures outside of main stream middle America. They feel so strongly, that they have made it a mandatory part of the curriculum. In other words, I don’t graduate if I don’t go. In the past few years, their have been trips to India, the Congo, Palestine, Guatemala, Russia, and South Korea just to name a few. With all of these choices, you might ask why I chose El Salvador. That is a legitimate question which can best be answered by; it chose me.

First of all, as you know I tend to procrastinate and I have been successful in putting off this trip as long as absolutely possible. This was my last opportunity to go on a Cross Cultural trip without actually postponing graduation. Another issue was money. I have been paying about $325 each semester so far (which was required), essentially banking money toward this trip. I was told by the last group that when they returned from El Salvador, they actually had money returned to them, so whooo hoooo, Life is Good! I procrastinated as long as possible, the trip would be paid for completely, plus I will get money back, What a deal!
Uhhhhhhhh Guess again! Not only won’t I be getting money back, but now I have been informed that I have to come up with another $870. So much for the best laid plans. So now, I have the additional worry of trying to come up with almost another thousand dollars, and that won’t include spending money for the trip. Are you beginning to see why I say that I am in need of a couple of miracles between now and graduation.

I have begun to do some of the preliminary research on the El Salvador. It has been an area of great unrest and violence, however, much of that has settled down in recent years. I do have a good friend, Ernesto, who grew up in El Salvador and was arrested for speaking out against the government. Actually his story is quite a compelling story of God’s grace and I am looking forward to talking with him prior to leaving to get his insights.

One interesting aspect of the trip is that we are not going as missionaries, we are not going to build anything, or save anyone, we are simply going to learn and observe, to talk with the people, and to ask questions of those in power to see what we can learn about their culture and society.

Honestly, my heart tells me that this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity and that what I learn will change my life and ministry forever. Unfortunately, right now my mind is running through all of the things that I have to do between now and then, such as receive a financial miracle, survive this semester, and oh yeah, complete all of my Commissioning work.

I can sure use your prayers right about now, come to think of it, I could use them on a regular basis between now and let’s say……… May!

Blessings

No comments: