Monday, May 18, 2009

Never a Dull Moment...

Yesterday was a very special day. I had the opportunity to go back to my home church, which just doesn’t happen as frequently as I would like, and see everybody again. The purpose for this trip was to recognize my graduation from seminary and also to share with them my experiences in El Salvador.

Even though I knew that this presentation was coming up, I didn’t really start putting the nuts and bolts of it together until Saturday. (I know, I was procrastinating again) Unfortunately, I ran into technical difficulties, and nothing was working like I had hoped that it would. Finally, after a complete change of plan, an unexpected trip to Staples and trying my hand at putting together my first Power Point presentation, at 10:00 Saturday night I was finally ready.

Although, I used to have a problem with running on time, in the past few years I have improved dramatically, as a matter of fact, I have turned into my mother and tend to get to places a half hour early. Unfortunately, Sunday wasn’t one of those days, I was held up a little bit at Cana after the service and ended up being late to my own party. How sad is that?

However, everything was forgiven and of course the meal was excellent and my presentation went very well. This technology stuff is pretty cool when it works like it is supposed to:) Of course, Ben was disappointed that I didn’t begin to tap all of the resources and bells and whistles available in Power Point, but I was just glad that I figured out how to turn it on.

What was most remarkable for me was to discover the extent that my journey to El Salvador still affects my feelings and emotions. I found it incredibly difficult to talk about certain aspects of the trip, especially my experiences in El Mozote. I wonder how long it will take to get past these feelings? Do I even want to put them behind me?

This is the beginning of a fun week, finishing this Foucault paper, trips to the dentist, last trip to Ohio for Graduation, Pastor Parish meeting with the District Superintendent… Should make for an interesting week:)

Blessings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Jim. Glad your El Salvador presentation went well. You ask when you will get over the emotion of that trip? Never. El Mozote and the other places we visited there will forever be etched in our hearts.