Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mixed Emotions


Today is very much a day of mixed emotions. I have completed my last trip to Ohio (except for graduation) and now I have a weeks worth of work to get done today. I really don’t know what to say about being finished with seminary. There is a part of me that is ecstatic. I can’t believe that it is actually finished. As I look back, in one way, these four years have seemed like a lifetime. I almost don’t remember what my life was like prior to seminary. But in an equally puzzling way, it seems like it was only yesterday that I sat in the orientation, thinking that there would be no way possible that I would be able to get through all of the mental, spiritual and emotional challenges standing between me and a Master of Divinity Degree. But none-the-less, here I am!

I had an opportunity to sit down and talk to President Jay Rundell yesterday for about a half hour, and I shared with him my two greatest fears entering seminary. The first was that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the academic work. It had been 25 years since I had been in school and too be honest, I wasn’t all that great of a student back then. The other fear was that I would be totally out of place with all of those young fresh faced “kids” that I saw walking around on campus. But, four years later, I look back and see that both of those fears were unfounded. I will graduate with a grade point average just above a 3.5 which is an A, and I now realize that the interaction that I had with all of those young (and not so young) students will be what I will forever cherish most about my time in seminary.

My guess is that you will hear more of these reflections over the next several days. I am only now beginning to process what this experience has meant to me, so as I figure it out I will let you know.

Oh, and as for my tooth, I have only had a few times where I was pretty miserable, but for the most part the discomfort has stayed to a low consistent aggravation. Today I have to pack in a weeks worth of work because tomorrow morning I have to get that tooth pulled, and I am a little concerned about how well I will feel when I get done. Maybe, I will feel fine and I can get right back to work, I certainly have enough that needs to get done. But if not, Sunday’s sermon may become a hymn sing, led by somone else :)

Blessings

No comments: