Monday, May 25, 2009

Big Announcement!

Yesterday was another one of those mixed emotion days. First of all let me share with you the news about our future. It seems to me like every aspect of our future has been so uncertain for such a long time that it feels a little strange to at least have some glimpse into where we will be going and what we might be doing.

Thursday evening we met with our new District Superintendent who took us to meet the Pastor Parish Committee of our new churches. It has now officially been announced that I will be receiving a new appointment. Effective July 1st, we will be moving to Corydon, IN to begin serving the 2 point charge of Oak Grove United Methodist and Fountain United Methodist Church. I must say that we were greeted so warmly and hospitably by everyone that we met, and I would especially like to mention that the outgoing pastor, who will be moving up near Connersville, IN, (much closer to her children) was so very warm and kind to us. I am very much looking forward to beginning life as a full time pastor.

Yesterday was also my graduation party. What a wonderful time we had! It was so good to see so many people come out to offer their support and congratulations, and I can honestly say that this journey through seminary was the most difficult and intense thing that I have ever done. As I look back on my life, I have always considered Chiropractic College and getting my pilot's licenses as my 2 most difficult accomplishments, but I now believe that seminary far surpasses either of those efforts, and in addition, I can honestly say that this is the accomplishment that I am most proud of. However, with that being said, I did not do this alone. It took a major effort from my churches, my family, and my friends to get me over the finish line, and I am so blessed by everyone who has had a part in this accomplishment.

My mentor Ron once told me that one day when I am kneeling before the Bishop preparing to be ordained, I will come to the realization that I could not have possibly gotten there on my own. Well, I don’t have to wait that long. I know now that God has been with me every step of the way, sometimes pushing me, sometimes pulling me and often times carrying me. I have always heard it said that the work of the Holy Spirit is best seen looking back through the rearview mirror. As I pause now in this time of transition, the only thing in the rearview mirror that I can see is the work of God at every juncture, turn, crossroads and even in what I at the time considered roadblocks. God is indeed good all the time!

The sad aspect of these past few days is realizing that there are a number of people at seminary that I will likely never see again. I know that we say that we will keep in touch, but as my children reminded me that this is my fourth graduation and so with that experience, I think that I can speak with a little historical perspective. As we move on, even with the greatest of intentions, most often we get so busy that it becomes difficult to maintain the old relationships. The feelings are always there, the relationships are still intact, however, they aren’t the close daily and weekly relationships that they once were and I find that sad.

I am also starting to reflect on my time with Crothersville and Cana and I also know that these relationships will change as well. I know that I will always love these people and I know that they love me as well, but moving forward in ministry is what the United Methodist Church does. Someone new will come in with strengths that I didn’t have and allow the churches to grow in ways that I simply wasn’t capable of doing. God has given each person a set of gifts and it is up to us to use those gifts to build each other up and to help build God’s kingdom.

These past 4 1/2 years serving Crothersville and Cana UMC's has been such a blessing to me and I am so grateful for every moment. The next few weeks will be spent reflecting upon what we have been able to do together and also to prepare for the ministry that will lie ahead both for the churches and also for me. This truly is a day of new beginnings.

Blessings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you as you move on to your second appointment. (Right now I'm really wishing I had a new appointment to go to.) It is sad knowing that we may never see each other face-to-face but at least we have facebook to keep us connected. It's not the same as carpooling together to PCJ, but it's better than nothing. Many blessings on your new appointment and road towards ordination.