Friday, March 20, 2009

Unconditional Love... Yeah Right!


I had to laugh this morning when I woke up and was listening to a few moments of the "Today Show." I was introduced to the actress Jamie Pressley who apparently stars in the series “My Name is Earl,” although you couldn’t prove it by me. She was being interviewed because she has written some kind of book, and although the book did sound interesting, it was an observation that she made that caused me to laugh. She was talking about how much she loved her young son Dezi James, which of course I would expect to hear from a young mother, but then she said something about the unconditional love that Dezi has for her, and I have to admit that I just about fell out of bed laughing.

I wonder where this idea has come from with young mothers, this idea of wanting or perhaps needing this unconditional love from a child. I don’t want to burst her bubble, but it doesn’t work that way, or at least I have never seen it work that way. I don’t know how many times I have watched on TV shows like Dr. Phil, or Oprah, (and I almost never see these shows) interviews with young mothers or young girls who want to have children and they all seem to have some Pollyanna idea that these beautiful babies will unconditionally love them. Uhhhh, that might work until they turn say….. 2, and then you find out how quickly that love turns "conditional." As an example, Mother says: “You need to go to bed now.” Child responds; “NO, I DON”T LIKE YOU” Mother says, “Could you please clean your room?” Child responds, “NO!” and screams and runs away.

I mean, if you want just one small example of this “unconditional love” just watch ANY episode of “The Nanny” or “Nanny 911” and it doesn’t take long to realize that whereas we parents have, or should have, unconditional love for our children, the child hasn’t read the manual that says children should have unconditional love for the parent.

So my advice to young mothers who are either expecting unconditional love from their child, or want to have a child to experience this unconditional love……. Buy a Dog instead, or better yet go to the dog pound and pick up a stray and you will have unconditional love from them for the rest of their life, but a child? Probably not so much:)

Blessings

No comments: