Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Friends are Friends Forever


I had an excellent day yesterday. I had the opportunity to have lunch with my oldest friend. Well, let me rephrase that, he is actually only one year older than me, but we have been great friends since our first week in Chiropractic College together which would have been in 1979. Here we were, the two youngest people in our class of 130 people, I think that we just naturally migrated to each other.

I have always said that Rick single handedly got me through Chiropractic College. I still remember the countless hours of studying (some of it by the pool of his apartment complex) and the even more difficult task he had of listening to a friend who was often sad and homesick, living 981 miles from home. (The exact miles from my apartment in Marietta, Georgia to my home in Moline, Ill) It’s funny that after nearly 30 years, that number is still etched in my mind. Rick was always patient and understanding, and definitely the better student.

As we talked yesterday, it brought back a flood of memories such as when Karen and I had to flee from our apartment and move in with Rick for a couple of days because of a flea infestation. Or, the hours of waiting for the mailman to bring the results of our National Board exams. I still remember going to school that morning and listening to everyone as they shared whether or not they had passed all of the parts of the Board exam, and then rushing home to be sure to be there when the mailman arrived around 1:00PM. The time seemed to pass so slowly until I finally saw him coming down the street. He paused for a moment at my mail box and then continued on his way. I almost ripped the screen door off the hinges rushing outside to get that priceless envelope. I had been told by my classmates that if the envelope was thin then it was good news. If it was thick, then there would be additional information about retaking the exams.

I reached in the mailbox and pulled out…… the electric bill. Wait a minute, there must be a mistake, everyone else had gotten their results. I turned and chased after the mailman, who must have been momentarily concerned for his safety with this frantic young man running toward him and yelling. I asked him if he was sure that there wasn’t something else in his bag for me, which he diligently searched and said…. “Oh here is a letter for you, I’m sorry, I must have missed that one.” I grabbed the letter, without even remembering to say thank-you, went back to my apartment, sat down and slowly opened it, praying for the best, but fearing the worst. Thank-goodness I was put out of my misery quickly, the first word was congratulations, whoooo hoooo.

It’s funny how priceless those moments are in our lives. I am so grateful to Rick for everything that he did for me then, as well as for the closeness of our friendship over the past 30 years. I once heard a motivational speaker say that there are two things that will make the greatest difference between the person you are today and the person you will be 5 years from now. The first would be the books that you read and the second would be the people that you meet, and while I think that he makes a very good point, I beleive that I will add a third one to his list and that would be the friends that you continue to hold dear.

I pray that each of you take the time today to call an old friend and let them know how much you appreciate them. We simply can’t make it on this journey alone. Where would Frodo Baggins have been without Sam Wise Gamgee? (Lord of the Rings)

Blessings

No comments: