Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dad Needs a New Phone...


I am very excited today. I am sitting here anxiously awaiting the Federal Express guy. For the past few months I have been contemplating this idea of upgrading my phone. To be honest, phone shopping along with most other types of shopping is not my favorite thing to do, so consequently, I put it off as long as possible. My cell phone carrier is Verizon, so I can upgrade to a new phone every 2 years, but, I have had my current phone for almost 3 years now, and I am beginning to sense that it has seen better days.

The problem that I have been faced with is that the new phones today can do so many things, many of which I have no interest in. I really don’t need to check my emails, update my Facebook status, surf the Internet, or twitter and tweet (what ever that is) from my phone. I decided that what I really would like is a phone that will make phone calls. (I know, I don’t ask for much do I) I would also like a phone that had a keyboard, not for texting, I still have no interest in that, but to be able to take my Microsoft Office files with me when I am out and waiting in hospitals. I also wanted a phone that would do a good job of keeping a calendar for my schedule and allow me to easily jot down sermon ideas while I am out and away from my office. Essentially I decided that I would like to have something along the lines of a Blackberry, Smartphone, or PDA.

It is a little sad, all of my kids have phones with those capabilities, but poor old dad is still stuck in the ancient technology of about 5 years ago. What was even more sad was that my daughter got a new Blackberry a couple of days ago, and she has had a new phone much more recently than me, I really am behind the times, I am turning into my parents more and more everyday.

So with that new found motivation of keeping up with Terri, I began to shop in earnest. What I wanted was a phone that would be able to download and upload Word documents from my computer, have a decent calendar and scheduling capability, have a touch screen, preferably with a stylus (I have had some prior experience with that, plus I have fat fingers) and NOT require that I pay an extra $30.00 per month for a data package from Verizon.

So with those parameters in mind, I went to the Verizon Wireless web site and entered the chat area and asked their representative what phones would fit within those bounds. Within a few seconds, the representative provided me with a list of about 5 phones that would work for my purposes. The first one was $199.00 and had a bunch of features that I would never use. Another choice was out of stock, and that left me with one that I could upgrade to for $19.00 and one that was Free. I put them up side by side and it wasn’t even a close choice, the Free phone did everything I wanted and needed, plus it had a built in MP3 player, Whoo hooo.

So, sometime between now and 4:30, I will receive my new Palm Centro and I will be able to embark on a new era of efficiency, all of my scheduling conflicts will be eliminated, I will be on time from now on and procrastination will no longer be a challenge for me……. Ok, maybe I went a bit to far, lets just say, by 4:30 my new phone should be here, I think that we can all agree on that:)

Blessings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go dad!!! I hope you have better luck figuring out how to use you phone than i do!! I can barely make phone calls one mine... lol