Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Monday was one long day....


As you could tell from yesterday’s post, I did indeed pass my interviews with the Board of Ordained Ministry. It was a very long challenging day. I was up and out the door a little after 5:00 AM, I wanted to be sure to leave plenty of time since I didn’t know exactly where I was going. After I arrived, the Board and all of the candidates went into the sanctuary for a welcome time of reflection, prayer and worship. Then we were told what the pattern for the day would be and then each of us was ushered to our first interview.

In general, I found the interviews to be warm and affirming. I had great fears that the questions would be difficult and technical in nature such as, explain the concept of the Economic Trinity (which I could have answered that one:) or something even worse. The entire trip up to Plainfield was consumed with panic over thoughts of questions that they could possibly ask that I couldn’t answer. However, the questions were all very open ended and to be honest, I felt that thy were basic questions that any pastor should be able to articulate.

Most of the time I felt a little bit like a batter taking batting practice and hitting one after the other over the fence. For instance one of the questions was, tell us about your understanding of Wesleyan Theology and what makes it unique? That may not sound too easy to most of you, but to a United Methodist pastor who has spent the last 4 years at a United Methodist Seminary, studying Wesleyan Theology with professors who have written books on the subject, trust me, it is a simple question.

I have to admit that what made me the most proud was that I heard several times from the interviewers that my paperwork and answers to the questions that I wrote before leaving for El Salvador were excellent, and 3 different interviewers commented on my video taped sermon, saying that sometimes it is very difficult to watch these sermons, but that mine really held their interest and that they had enjoyed it very much. One commented specifically that he enjoyed listening because I had such an easy conversational tone. Coming from fellow pastors, I take that as a real compliment. Most pastors are very critical of other pastor’s sermons, go figure LOL

Another thing that I am proud of is that out of the 30+ pages of writing that I prepared for this interview, I was only questioned on 2 words. One was the use of the word “recumbancy” which one of the interviewers wanted to check to see if I knew what it meant, which I did because it was one of my Wesleyan Theology professors favorite words. And the other was the use of the word “colorblind” in relation to seeking diversity. I was informed that “colorblind” was a derogatory term to someone of color because it implies that you have no concern for their heritage. But, that was brought up more for my information than as a specific criticism.

The worst part of the day was the 5 hour wait while the board deliberated. When I was finally called back to receive my results, the board member put me out of my misery quickly and told me as we walked that it was good news. When we arrived at the room, and she shared with me the decision of the board, I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as the full impact of her words hit me. The grace of God had indeed brought me safe thus far, and the grace of God will see me home.

Blessings

PS: Next time I will fill you in on the ramifications both personal and professional and what it will mean for me to be a Provisional Member of the Indiana Conference.

No comments: