Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving in Indiana...



It is amazing to me to watch the days on the calendar go by. Thanksgiving will be here in just four short days. I always enjoy sitting back and listening to the detailed planning process as Karen and her Mom lay out all of the logistics of the big Thanksgiving dinner. And, this year another voice has been added to those preparations, Terri. She is planning for her very first major Thanksgiving dinner extravaganza. I certainly remember the one that Karen and I planned. I am not sure that it was our first, but it certainly was our largest undertaking.

We called it Thanksgiving in Indiana. We sent out invitations to all of our family living in the foreign land of Illinois, and invited them to join us for a time of food celebration and joy. Well, I’m not sure that we accomplished all of those things, but we certainly had food, and it was a great joy.

As I look back now, it is with a bit of a sense of sorrow, mixed with joy, mixed with a sense of longing. (The word that I would have used here is melancholy, but Ben gets upset when I use big words) especially as I think about those who are no longer with us, Karen’s Dad, Andy (who of course our Grandson Andrew was named for, my Mom Jewell, and my Brother, Phillip. I think back upon those times, and realize how truly blessed that I am. There has never been a time that I have been without food, (well there was the time that I was sent to bed without supper, but that’s another story) I have always been surrounded by people who love me, and I have nothing but warm memories of the holidays that are so rapidly approaching.

Which brings me back to the plans for the big celebration on Thursday at Terri and Josh’s, I wonder what new memories will be created on that day? I wonder what Mary and Andrew will remember, and what lasting memories will be created for everyone else who will be there?

I have two vivid Thanksgiving memories that I would like to share with you over the next couple of days. The first is called “No Pumpkin Pie” and the other is, “I’ll NEVER Eat Dressing Again” You won’t want to miss these :)

See you tomorrow!
Blessings

No comments: