Tuesday, November 25, 2008

No Pumpkin Pie!!!


One of my fondest memories of Thanksgiving happened many, many years ago. Karen and I, Ben and Terri, my Mom and Sister, and my nephew Ben had gathered with my Brother’s family at his house in Mitchell IN for our big Thanksgiving family gathering.

The menu, as always, included turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, homemade rolls and a dozen other sumptuous delicacies that I am beginning to get hungry just imagining. Now, there is one important food that I am leaving out of this list. It is, of course, one of my all time favorite foods as mentioned in an earlier post. You may remember when I talked about the pumpkin pie that I received for my birthday, yeah that’s right, the one that Odie ate. Well, at the end of that post I mentioned that it might remind some people of an earlier experience. This is that experience.

http://pastorhigdon.blogspot.com/2008/10/tragedy-and-heartbreak.html

Just prior to dinner, everyone went over to my Brother’s Chiropractic office for an adjustment, leaving everything in the kitchen just about ready to serve for dinner. When we returned, a few minutes later, a tragedy had stuck. One of the dogs had gotten into the pumpkin pies! We knew it had to have been the dogs because there were incriminating paw prints all over the counter, in the pies and on the floor.

I am not sure that I have ever seen my Mom quite so mad, and it was declared in no uncertain terms that whichever dog was responsible for this travesty, there would be no pie for their master, (Thank goodness that not all of the pies had been violated)

Now, there were three possible culprits. My Mom’s dog Chrissy, of course she was too small and I couldn’t imagine her getting up that high. The next potential offender was my dog, Bones… say it isn’t so… Bones wouldn’t do that would she? Honestly, that would have required way too much work for her, she was much to lazy to do that, wasn’t she? But if she was the culprit, were they serious? No Pumpkin Pie for me?

I scurried around, but Bones was sound asleep in the same place she had been when we left, and there was no evidence of pumpkin pie on her pure white fur. So if it wasn’t Chrissy and it wasn’t Bones, then it must have been… Susie! My nephew Ben’s dog. Suddenly the evidence of the crime was all coming together, the detectives on CSI would have been proud. The paw prints matched Susie, she was certainly active enough to get up on the counter, there was no doubt that she had motive (wouldn’t you?) and most incriminating of all… Ben was over in the corner with a dish rag trying to clean the pumpkin pie off of her mouth and paws, I think that Ben could have easily been charged as an accomplice in the crime and at the very least for obstruction of justice or tampering with the evidence.

But, justice prevailed and the truth came to light. It was too late, Ben and Susie were caught red handed… well maybe I should say pumpkin pie pawed, but what ever it was, at least it wasn’t my dog.

All of these years later I still think of that Thanksgiving, and I always smile. Oh and in case you were wondering, at the ensuing trial, Susie was found guilty and given a life sentence without the posibility for pumpkin pies and Ben, well, there was grace and he was allowed to enjoy the pie that was left, even though there were those who thought that perhaps the punishment should have been more severe:)

Now, as I think about it, there is one other thing that happened that day. I will have to check with my sister, Verna, she remembers these things better than I do, but I think that tomorrow’s story, “I’ll Never Eat Dressing Again,” happened the same day, I’ll check with her and get back to you tomorrow!

Blessings

No comments: