Wednesday, November 5, 2008

“Fear not, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord.”


Yesterday I gave my major sermon for homiletics class. I have to admit that it went much better than my earlier mini sermons that I told you about. As a matter of fact, I am not sure that I could have done any better. I do have to tell you something funny that happend. During the sermon, I described how when I think about the image of God parting the Red Sea, I can’t help but imagine Charlton Heston in the movie “The Ten Commandments,”
I picture him with his back to the sea saying to the Israelites, “Fear not, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord.” “The Lord of Hosts will do battle for us, behold God’s mighty hands, then he stretches out his staff and the waters part.” I then added as a moment of humor, “You’ve got to love Cecil B. DeMille.”

After the sermon we have the joy (pain) of standing in front of the class and hearing the comments, critiques and criticisms. One of the 20 something women said that she didn’t understand my reference to Cecil something or other and that I should be careful using a reference that not everyone would understand. Oh my goodness! I couldn’t believe that someone didn’t know who Cecil B DeMille was. I just laughed, looked at her and said Wow, do I ever feel old.

At that point the rest of the class erupted into laughter and started giving her a hard time about not knowing who he was. So at least, that made me feel a little bit better, and the instructor, who is not all that old himself said that I could normally feel pretty safe with a reference like that one, and besides, I figured that if you have to explain the joke, it kind of takes the fun out of it.

Anyway, I am glad that I can chalk one more thing off my list to do. Only 4597 more things to go!

Blessings

No comments: