Saturday, February 28, 2009

Two More Sleeps...


We have arrived at another Saturday night. Saturdays are always days of preparation for me. Some weeks are more so than others depending on how heavy my seminary workload happens to be in a given week. This week, I have to admit that I am not quite so anxious for Sunday to arrive. I am reminded of a dear friend who used to have to help his young children figure out how long it would be before they would be able to come to his house for the weekend, and he would always tell them that he would pick them up in 3 more sleeps or however many days it would happen to be. I always thought that his words were such a simple way for a young child to keep track of how many days it would be before something that they were looking forward to.

Unfortunately, I am down to 2 more sleeps before going before the Board of Ordained Ministry. In a way that is a good thing, because I am not sure how much longer I can continue with the constant anxiety of these Interviews hanging over my head, and on the other hand, I am not so sure that if it is bad news that I want to know LOL

As I think back to my initial reasons for writing this blog, I was incredibly stressed about entering into the Commissioning process and part of my way of dealing with the stress was to write about it. As I think back now, many of you have been with me through the difficulty of the District Board interview, the struggle of getting through last semester as well as the anguish of getting the paperwork all turned in before leaving for El Salvador, and now I am down to the last 2 sleeps before finding out what my future holds (or not).

As for tomorrow? I am going to go to church and truly enjoy the worship experience, take Karen to Cracker Barrel for lunch, come home and read a little bit of my Michel Foucault, watch the NASCAR race with my Book of Discipline and my Board paperwork in my lap, and then in the evening, watch the movie Freedom Writers which came from Net Flix today. Then I will be down to only 1 sleep, ready or not!

1 comment:

judyschoon said...

2 more sleeps...that is so funny. I have never heard anyone else use that phrase. That is how we would explain time to our granddaughter. She is now 13 but everyone in our family still use 1, 2 or 3 more sleeps as a way of expressing the time until something excieting happens. We use it as an expression for good times coming. Praying that your 2 more sleeps may be peaceful and you awake refreshed and ready for what lies ahead.