Friday, February 27, 2009

Spring Is On The Way...




I am holding out hope that Spring is on the way. Just in the past couple of days I have begun to see some very hopeful signs. The first sign is that yesterday I was able to go outside without needing a coat. Of course, a couple of warmer days doesn’t necessarily mean anything, because we can be plunged back in the deep freeze very quickly this time of year.

The second sign is the fact that our tree in the back yard is beginning to blossom a little bit and I have seen a few daffodils beginning to break through the ground. These are both hopeful signs, but, I am also a bit concerned that they are going to freeze their little buds off, if they aren’t careful. And, last night we had quite a thunder storm which woke me up several times between the heavy rain and the thunder. Of course, in February, a thunder storm is always better than the alternative of a snow or ice storm.

The best sign, however, is that yesterday I saw a huge flock of Sand Hill Cranes in a field near Wal-Mart on their yearly migration. The Sand Hill Cranes are always a good sign of Spring for our area, plus I saw my first Robin of the season. And, one other ornithological observation, when I took Odie outside I saw a big flock of Canadian Geese heading in a northerly direction. Things are looking better all the time!

I sure hope that these are all signs of an early Spring, I am so ready to be done with my winter coat and high heating bills. I know that this could all change tomorrow, this is Indiana you know. But, each day like yesterday will bring us one day closer to Spring, and that is something to cheer about :)
Blessings

4 comments:

judyschoon said...

Hi, I also saw geese this morning. we heard them as we were coming out of the pool and looked around and sure enough. We all agreed, spring is not far behind. Happy spring to you :)

Unknown said...

You sound hopeful Jim!! That's good to hear. Mom your comment makes it sounds you live somewhere exotic because you were coming out of the pool... i hope you didn't see geese when you were getting out of the pool... maybe in the parking lot though.

judyschoon said...

Comming out of the Anderson Center...smarty pants :) Still patches of ice in the parking lot, maybe by this evening they are hopefully gone

Pastor Jim said...

It's always funny what a difference a day can make here in the midwest. Yesterday was so nice and warm, and today it is cold and windy with a chance of snow overnight. Yuck! LOL I am keeping all of my positive thoughts and prayers working on an early Spring, I am so ready:)