Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday


Today, Ash Wednesday, is one of the most Holy Days in the Christian liturgical calendar. I have to admit that I am a bit sad today because this is the first Ash Wednesday since I have been preaching that I haven’t been able to spend it with my congregation and more importantly, hold an Ash Wednesday Service.

Today we begin together the journey to Jerusalem, a journey that will ultimately end on Good Friday at the Cross. This season of Lent has always been a challenging time for me. The music is no longer happy and upbeat, instead it is slow and often in minor keys which helps to reflect the mood and solemnity of the season. It is also a time marked by personal introspection and reflection.

Each year I am humbled by the young people of our congregation who give up something that is important to each of them. In the past few years they have marked Lent by the giving up of candy, but this year they are giving up both candy and TV. I must say that I would have a very difficult time with that one myself, which makes me ask the question, do the youngest members of my congregation have more faith (or will power) than me? (It isn’t necessarily the will power that is a problem for me, it is the WON”T power that I struggle with)

I have decided that even though I don’t really watch TV that much, what little I do watch is a significant time of mindless de-stressing which comes in very handy with seminary, boards, and church, not to mention the great hole in my schedule that would be opened if I were forced to give up my NASCAR race on Sunday afternoons. So instead of giving up TV, which would be awfully hard, I think I will just give up sweetened beverages. Now I think that I could give up Pepsi without tremendous sacrifice, but giving up sweet tea and Hawaiian Punch is another story altogether. Those of you who know me well understand the level of this sacrifice :) It doesn’t quite rise to the same level as TV, but it is still a significant sacrifice none-the-less.

I hope that your season of Lent is filled with great hope, reflection, prayer and worship. I also pray that your journey to Jerusalem is marked by the people that you meet on the way and the insights that you gain. Blessings to you and may God bless you during the season of Lent.

Blessings

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your affinity for Hawaiian Punch makes me giggle. While I feel that I'm already in a time of hardship and struggle, there is little I feel that I can give up for Lent. However, I am going to be purposeful in preparation for the cross. Perhaps I should write about that in my blog. :)

Pastor Jim said...

Chrissy,

Sometimes it is more important what we give back than what we give up. I know that God must have a very special purpose for you because through your struggles, you have continued to reach out and give back to others, even though at times you didn't feel like you had anything to give, and that is a true blessing to those of us who know you, as well as those who only know you through your blog :)
Blessings