Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Busy Week!


This has already been an incredibly busy week. Even though I only have the two actual classes this semester, they are very intensive workloads. They just won’t let me skate to the finish line. I was up fairly early this morning so that I could finish writing a book review for the book “Christ of the Indian Road.” It was an excellent book on evangelism and I think what will stick with me the longest is a quote from Mahatma Gandhi in a conversation that he had with the author E. Stanley Jones about evangelism. “If you will come to us in the spirit of your Master, we cannot resist you… I would suggest that you put your emphasis upon love, for love is the center and soul of Christianity” (119).

In these words of wisdom, from a man who was not himself Christian, can be found the nucleus of effective evangelism; come in the spirit of Christ and put your emphasis on love. If we circumscribe our efforts within these bounds, I believe that our evangelistic efforts will be richly rewarded.

This afternoon, in addition to turning in my book review, I also have to share with the class my conversion story. That will be incredibly difficult to do, first because it is a difficult story for me to tell, and also because it takes a long time and I will have to make an attempt to condense it down into about 5 minutes. Oh well, I am sure that the professor will cut me off if I go on too long, I may just set the alarm on my watch so that I keep it to the 5 minutes.

The other rather emotional story that I am working on, that I will only have 5 minutes to share, will be next week during our chapel service Tuesday at 11:00 AM. Our group that went to El Salvador will be doing the worship service, and I am sharing with the congregation about my experience at El Mozote and about Concepcion Sanchez. That will also be difficult. Then next Tuesday evening, I have a 20 minute presentation to make to my El Salvador group.

They just aren’t letting me slide though these last few months:(

Oh well, maybe it will make the time go by faster, as if it isn’t going fast enough already!

Blessings

No comments: