Friday, September 12, 2008

Let's Here It For The Small Towns!!!



Yesterday, for me, was a day of reflection that was marked by two significant events. The first was the remembrance of the attacks of September 11th 2001 and the second was the beginning of Crothersville’s Sesquicentennial Celebration. I must say that the folks who worked on the organization committee have worked so very hard. They have been in countless meetings for 18 months, spent thousands of their own dollars, struggled with vendors and workers and yes, sometimes even with each other which will sometimes happen when people who are passionate about a project work together.

As Karen and I began to get a feel for the festival last night by helping to judge the Senior Queen Pagent, participating in the cake walk in the rain, eating an excellently fried fish sandwich by BJ and the fire Department, enjoying a pork burger and simply sharing life with the people of our community. I realized how blessed I was to be a part of this small town. It seems like small towns have sure been getting hit pretty hard in the press here lately. I think I will leave that particular thought where it is and let you take from it what you will, since I really don’t want to have political conversations on here. But, the truth is that most of the people that I know were born in small towns, most of the people I know still currently live in small towns, and probably as John Melloncamp points out that most of them, including me, will probably die in a small town.

To all of these small town people with small town values across our great nation, I salute you. Especially on this special day for my small community of Crothersville IN, I want to congratulate you on your Birthday of 150 years and it is my prayer that 150 years from now as the cities of Louisville, KY, Indianapolis, IN and Cincinnati, OH all merge together about this point in Jackson County to form the megalopolis of Indi-LouCincy, it will be my wish that the small town values of Crothersville continue to be an example for others to follow.

Blessings

No comments: