Saturday, September 20, 2008

And It Begins...



I have a bit of a strange admission to make today. You might remember that a couple of weeks ago I talked about receiving my packet of paperwork, it was actually a computer disc, for the Commissioning process. Well, I opened it up for the first time today. You might think that waiting so long is a little strange and perhaps it is. When it arrived, I put it right on top of my desk and every time I have walked into my office for the past two weeks it has been the first thing that I have looked at. I think, using the expression that I have heard the media using lately, it was like the two ton elephant in the room, I couldn’t help but notice it, but I tried to ignore it anyway.

The funny thing is that I mentioned this to one of my colleagues over at school, and he said that he had done the exact same thing, so maybe my response to this daunting task isn’t as unique as I thought. I finally opened it up because I knew that there was an October 1st deadline for a couple of items on the list. One reason that I chose to wait is because I was pretty sure that I knew what had to be done by October 1st and I thought that I already had those things accomplished. It seems that I chose unwisely.

There were several things on the list that needed to be done, and a couple of those items were a bit on the confusing side, so I made the second of what I am sure will be many calls to the Conference office to figure out exactly what they needed for me to have completed. I know that I shouldn’t say this, but just between you and me, I think that I had a better handle on what needed to be turned in than the person in charge. I asked about Form B that they needed and was informed that Form B was a Personal Data Inventory form. When I pointed out that my packed said that Form B was a financial disclosure form she was quite surprised.

Then as I went down the list of exactly what she needed by October 1st, she said, “don’t forget your Autobiographical information.” As I looked at my list I mentioned that there was no place that said that needed to be turned in now, but rather, it was not due until January 15th. She apologized and advised me that the entire process is in the middle of a massive change and that my list was correct. Oh my, are you beginning to understand why I didn’t even want to open the packet?

So, as I go down the list, I have already contacted the Buchanan Center in Indianapolis to schedule my psychological evaluation. I am sure that I will write much more about this part of the process, I went through this earlier and essentially I will spend about 6 hours in psychological testing, I hope they decide that I am sane! I have also contacted my family physician to schedule a physical examination. I have my picture all ready to send to them, I think I will use the one from my blog. Do you think that it makes me look ministerial? Now all I have to do is to fill out the nine pages of forms and get this all sent to Bloomington IN by October 1st. By the way, the nine pages of forms is just the tip of the iceberg of what is left to do over the next few months.

The one good thing is that since I already filled out the paperwork and paid the $50 for my criminal background check in July, that is one thing that I don’t have to do again. Thank goodness for small favors.

My mentor Ron keeps telling me to quit worrying, everything will work out just fine. I know that he is right, and I especially know that things will work out the way that they are supposed to, and that no matter what happens, God is guiding me in this process. However, at times, I think that I tend to take after my mother and that if I don’t have something actual to worry about, I will make something up. Maybe the psychologist can fix that for me:)

Blessings

No comments: