Monday, September 8, 2008

Humble Pie


I am afraid that I started judging my pie baking contest a week early. Unfortunately, it was a very large, bitter piece of humble pie. I knew when I wrote the words last time that, “The only thing that could go wrong now is if the Colts bus broke down on the way to the stadium, other than that, it’s in the bag!” I was making a big mistake. You would think that someone of reasonable intelligence, and who has been on this earth for almost a half a century would know better than to tempt fate with a statement like that.

It wasn’t more than fifteen minutes after I posted those words that the phone rang. It was Terri, apparently she and Josh decided to come up and surprise us for our Colts Party. Unfortunately, they had a problem. Just before they got to the Scottsburg exit, their right front tire blew out causing the car to spin 180 degrees on the Interstate slamming the car up against the guardrail. Ben and I immediately jumped in the car and headed that way, but we had to go past them down to the next exit, so it seemed like it took forever to get to them. Both Josh and Terri were fine, just a little shaken up, unfortunately, their car didn’t fair as well. So, after the wrecker hooked up their car, we brought them back to the house. They were two very lucky kids, it could have been so much worse. The officer just kept saying how glad he was that no one was injured. I got the feeling that even as young as he was he had seen more than his share of death and destruction out on these highways.

Once we were back at the house, it was time to turn our attention to homemade bread, my World Famous Chili and of course the inevitable Colts victory. No matter what else had happened, I knew that the night would end on a good note. I mean, the Colts haven’t lost a game in September or October for two years. They had pretty much all of their main starters healthy, and this was the first game in their new multimillion dollar stadium. Everything was set for a perfect game! Well, “Houston, we have a problem.” Someone forgot to tell the Bears that it was supposed to be the Colts night. They totally dominated the Colts, making for a very long, sad night. I think poor Ben was pretty much beside himself. It was not a banner night around our house.

All in all, I must say how thankful that I am that Terri and Josh are fine. I have a very dear friend that received a call a few months ago that her daughter, the night before her wedding, had been involved in a serious car accident and all they would say over the phone is that she needed to come to the hospital immediately. She made the very long trip to the hospital with no idea of what was waiting for her when she got there. I can’t even begin to imagine how awful it would have been to have received that call. When she arrived at the hospital, she found that her daughter was barely clinging to life, it took several weeks before she would even regain consciousness. Since that time, her recovery has been excruciatingly slow and she will probably suffer from the effects of the accident for the rest of her life.

How quickly life can change, in a flash events can happen that alter our lives forever. You know, I think I can live with the Colts loss, there will always be another game next week. I am already planning to fix another pot of my World Famous Chili and the Bread Machine is ready to go, but next week I will also remember what is most important and I am not going to make the mistake of thinking that nothing can go wrong. God always gives us opportunities to learn from our mistakes, and I have learned a great deal from this one.

Blessings

No comments: