Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Simplest Things...


Have you ever had the feeling that God was trying to tell you something? I have definitely been getting that feeling here recently. For some reason this whole idea of taking things for granted has been coming up an awful lot. I first noticed it last week when we were without power for 4 days. I realized very quickly how I take the simplest comforts such as turning on a light or working on the computer, or even watching a program on TV for granted.

This morning I asked both congregations where they had the opportunity to see God this week, and both congregations related similar stories of spending long over due time with loved ones and neighbors, renewing old friendships and even enjoying a simple board game or card game. It was such a joy listening to the stories and realizing how many of these simple things we have lost in our culture today.

For the next few days Karen is attending a retreat for ministers wives. She had the opportunity to attend last year and really enjoyed the time spent with the other wives, and I am equally sure that she enjoyed shopping in downtown Nashville IN as well, one of her favorite places. We decided that since I am leaving in the morning to go over to Ohio for classes anyway, I might as well just go with her to Nashville, and then leave from here in the morning. I bring this up because we were talking on the way up here this afternoon, that this was the first time for several years that we have actually stayed in a hotel. This is unusual, because for the past 20 some years we have traveled several times a year with our favorite destinations being Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Myrtle Beach. Four years ago our lives changed dramatically when we made the decision to enter seminary and the ministry.

As I have thought about some of the more obvious changes in our lives, I have realized that some of the things that I thought I couldn’t live without, I no longer miss. We used to eat out at least 10 times per week or more, but now we enjoy the simple pleasure of sharing a home cooked meal frequently prepared by yours truly, who isn’t all that bad of a chef if I do say so myself (not that anyone else outside our family appreciates my cooking)
Another major change is that we have learned to depend on the grace and generosity of other people. I reflect frequently on my mentor Ron’s advice to me when he said that "at some point down the road when you are about to be Ordained and the Bishop places his hands on you, you will know that you didn’t do it on your own.” How true this has been, we have relied heavily on our family, our friends and our congregations for help and support as we have attempted to follow the call that God has placed on our lives. We simply could not have come this far on our own.

So, as I sit here this evening enjoying the beautiful facilities at The Brown County Inn, and prepare to head over to the pool and relax as soon as I post this, I just wanted to share with you not to take life so much for granted, and certainly don’t take those who you care about for granted. Oh, and just one more thing, never take the blessings God has given to you for granted. Sometimes it can be the simplest things in life that will bring you the greatest pleasure.

Blessings

No comments: