Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Paddle Faster, I Hear Banjo Music…


I couldn’t help but notice all of the kayaks on the top’s of cars as I journeyed to Ohio on Monday. For some reason, just seeing them makes my spirit just a little bit lighter. Perhaps it is because of the joy that I experience when I am out paddling, maybe it is just the thought that someone certainly must have enjoyed their day. Whatever the reason, just seeing those little boats go by brings a smile to my face.

I must admit that I haven’t had any time at all this summer to go kayaking. Karen told me that I should take the kayak along when we went up to Indiana Dunes State Park this summer, but we wouldn’t have had enough room for it, and in addition, there is absolutely no place in the park to launch a kayak, so my kayak didn’t make the trip. Terri and I had a plan earlier this summer to go, but it rained that day and we decided that we really didn’t want to be out in the middle of the lake soaking wet with metal paddles in our hands when the lighting strikes.

I have had some excellent adventures kayaking in the past several years. There was the time that I just about drowned in Tennessee, that trip ended with three words, “Search and Rescue.” That is a great story, if you haven’t heard it, maybe sometime I will write about it. Another great time was the trip that Ben and I made on a river down in Kentucky. Once again that was really a great adventure, and Ben showed that he was a much better kayaker than I was, even if he hasn’t had nearly as much experience.

One memorable trip, in particular, was the trip that Terri and I took down the White River in Indiana. It was a beautiful day and the river was flowing at a perfect pace. There was a Blue Herron that kept us company for quite a bit of the journey. He would watch us and wait until we got close and then lift off and fly another 100 yards or so down the river. I am not sure if he couldn’t figure us out, or if he just enjoyed our company. The trip wasn’t without its share of challenges, there were a couple of embarrasing moments when we got stuck on sandbars. It was all that we could do to get up and get unstuck due to the fact that we were laughing so hard.

I think the reason that I smile when I see a kayak pass by on top of someone’s car is that it brings back all of those great memories, well except for the one where I almost drowned. I think that maybe I should make sure that sometime in the near future I get my kayak out, dust it off and create some new memories. Terri? Ben? Josh? Wanna go again?

Blessings

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, pick me!!! i hear kayaking on the delaware reservoir is good. i could get a rental for a day..., you know, with all my energy and free time.

perhaps next summer.

Pastor Jim said...

Chrissy,

You just pick the time and I am there! Hang in there and get feeling better!
Jim