Thursday, August 27, 2009

Uh Oh! I think I just fell off the wagon...

First of all, I think that you would all be very proud of me. It has been almost two weeks on Facebook with some of the most outrageous statements and posts made to date and I haven’t responded to a single one, except in the way that I promised, being kind, uplifting and helpful:)

With that being said, I have to admit that I have been putting some thought into my gut reactions. I have been trying to understand why I feel so strongly, or even care about what others say especially on these inflammatory issues of politics/war/torture/health care…

I think that I have come to the conclusion that I see the world through a much different lens than many of my colleagues, especially the younger ones. I actually feel like I see the world through the lens of a pastor as well as that of someone who has spent the majority of his life not necessarily pursuing a religious calling. Let me explain the tension that I see the world though that my young colleagues don’t.

Let’s look at the issue of war. As a pastor, I detest killing of any kind, I place a high value on all life and am deeply troubled by violence of any kind. I stand by the principle of love your enemies. But, as a practical person, one who has a deep love of history, I also understand that if we followed the ideas and recommendations of my radically progressive colleagues, the world would be a very different place.

Just last century, Germany would have swept across Europe totally unchecked while those who oppose war would want to sit down diplomatically with the Nazi’s and appease them. OH WAIT! That is exactly what happened. Thank goodness for people like Winston Churchill who was willing to stand up and resist the German onslaught.

Once again, while Europe was falling, we sat by, guided by this idea that talk and negotiations with tyrants was the best course of action. We were still negotiating with Japan right up to the moment that the first bombs fell at Pearl Harbor. As a pastor I call for negotiations, I call for peace, but as someone who understands history, I am thankful to those who are willing to walk a post and stand on that wall to keep me safe, while I have the privilege of sitting around and debating about the way in which these types of decisions are made. (sounds a little like “A Few Good Men” doesn’t it:)

I guess what I am trying to say is that there must be a balance and what offends me the most would be those who are unwilling to look outside of their own world view and understand that the issues that we are facing are extremely complex and not simply black and white. Instead, they are filled with a multitude of gray.

So, to my colleagues who believe (and continually post) that they have all the answers and that America is bad, and we are the great evil in the world and that Bush was bad and everything he did was wrong, and that we torture people and that we should have investigations and prosecute everyone from the guy at the CIA who scrubs the floors to Vice President Chaney and President Bush, and that the government is good and only looking out for our best interest and that we should entrust them with 1/6th of our economy because only the government can “solve” these massive problems. I simply ask you to look back one year ago.

Did you trust the government then? Would you want Bush making these types of life and death decisions? Would you trust Bush with making the decisions that are best for you, your family or this country? If your answer is no, to any of these, then perhaps you might pause and look at the world from a different point of view, if only for a moment.

Because, the political pendulum will swing back, there won’t always be someone in the White House that you love and ultimately we need a nation that is strong, we need an intelligence system that works, filled with people who are motivated to do a good job, and we need a government that is by the people and for the people and not one that is a powerful Big Brother ultimately making these life and death decisions for you. Take a little time, study the issues from all points of view, and about the time you think you have it figured out, realize that there is the possibility that after all that, you could be wrong. Approach your conversations in that tone and you will go far. Beat me over the head with how stupid I am, for not believing like you do and I will….. simply turn the other cheek:) That’s my story and I am sticking to it!

Blessings

4 comments:

judyschoon said...

You believe what you believe and you say what you gotta say...go Jim :)

Anonymous said...

For your own amuzement. I'm a liberal progressive who supported the war in Afganistan (although not Iraq). And I really have no interest in negotiating with Bin Laden. I still think we should kill him rather than take him prisoner and no one should have to call high command to get permission to pull the trigger. I even have quite a few "unpastorly" words that I would prefer to use but ya never know who might be reading this!

Pastor Jim said...

LOL Nancy, I knew that there was a reason that we get along so well:)

Judy, I am still working on my attitude:) I will try to do better. I am already thinking about my next blog and it has nothing to do with politics:)

judyschoon said...

Jim, nothing wrong with your attitude... judy