Thursday, April 30, 2009

Stupid Evangelical Christians...

Ok, I am about to say something that I know that I am going to regret, but I decided to address this issue on my blog rather than on Facebook where it really belongs so as to reduce the fallout. In case you haven’t figured it out yet, I tend to lean a little more in the conservative direction than many if not most of my seminary colleagues. I tend to be a little more conservative both in politics and in theology, which could tend to make me some what of a pariah. (but a lovable one) With that being said, I think that most of the people who know me will also say that I am pretty much a middle of the road, live and let live type of person. I try to be kind to everyone, I work hard on loving those who I disagree with, and I try especially hard to do everything that I can to examine all of my views from every possible side, multiple times, and in addition, if someone is willing to share their opposing viewpoint with me in a kind, respectful and non-insulting fashion, I am always willing to listen and to even be persuaded, which I have been on multiple issues, especially in the past four years of seminary.

This brings me to my question which I pose especially to my liberal colleagues. As I have experienced and learned over the past four years, it is very important that as Christians we must be willing to listen to each other. I think that most of us agree that there isn’t anything more frustrating than trying to converse or read excerpts from someone who "knows it all," that claims to have it all figured out, and is now trying to tell you exactly how it should be. I also understand that it is very challenging to listen to someone who you profoundly disagree with, or even worse, someone that you know either empirically or just in your gut that they are wrong. But, as Christians we are called to listen as we can, treat others respectfully and then attempt, if we can, to show them the error of their ways in a loving fashion. I hope that we can at least agree on that much so far.

I have also learned that diversity and tolerance are very good and important things. I have watched as nearly every minority group known to humankind has been lifted up, defended, and spoken out for. Even when we may disagree with ones religion or world view, we know that it is NEVER appropriate or acceptable to ridicule, deride, insult, chastise, mock, demean, or put down someone simply because they are different, whether that difference is racial, ethnic, religious, or sexual. Do we agree on that as well?

I know, you are waiting for the question. Ok, Here it is. If we all agree that it is critically important that we listen to all viewpoints, and love each other. If we concur that we are called to not only love those who we agree with, but also to love our enemies:

Why then is it not only apparently Ok and acceptable, but practically encouraged to ridicule people who would consider themselves to be evangelical Christians or conservative? It seems like this is the one group that it is perfectly Ok to have open season on without fear of negative reprisal. I have heard negative and derogatory comments in class by both students and professors, I have heard many hateful comments at meal times, and especially, I am growing weary of reading these flagrantly hateful things that are posted on Facebook about evangelical Christians and conservatives by my colleagues.

The people who claim to preach only love, grace, compassion and tolerance, are the same people who show absolutely no respect or grace for those who are more conservative theologically or politically.

I am personally offended when anyone is marginalized, ridiculed and belittled. I find both the left and the right offensive when they use these tactics. However, where I might expect these hateful things from people like Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olberman, I not only do not expect them, but am deeply offended when they come from seminarians that SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

Wake up people, some of you will be graduating in 3 weeks, many of you will be serving churches that are filled with people who are everywhere from ultra-liberal to ultra-conservative. I certainly hope that the people in your congregations aren’t reading what you are posting. While some may agree, others will not, and you are called to be the pastor for everyone, even the ones who think differently than you do!

I realize that I have learned a great deal in the past four years about diversity and tolerance, and I know that I still have work to do in these areas, but, from some of the recent posts I have read on Facebook, I get the distinct impression that there are many others that have much work to do in that area as well.

Blessings

2 comments:

judyschoon said...

I am sorry this is what your last weeks at MTSO is filled with. I agree, conservatives and evengelicals always seem to be in the bulls eye for a lot of people. I think you know that I understand what you are feeling. And we know there is no changing some poeples minds or attitudes. We just need to live our lives in "Truth" and do the best we can. Thank God for His grace. Peace judy

Unknown said...

You said, "Why then is it not only apparently Ok and acceptable, but practically encouraged to ridicule people who would consider themselves to be evangelical Christians or conservative?"

It is not okay to disparage a group. I've come to a realization in the past few months that "all means all" - not just embracing the "liberal" voices.

Thanks for posting. And I totally understand why you decided to address this on your blog rather than on Facebook.