Saturday, April 25, 2009

I suppose this wouldn't be a good time for me to retire?

Saturdays are always busy days in the life of a pastor, much more so than Sunday if you can believe that. Actually I look forward to Sundays. It is the day that I get to see everyone and catch up on all of the week’s activities. It is a day of numerous hugs and joyous celebration. It is also our traditional Cracker Barrel Day, but not this week. Tomorrow after church we are attending a dinner in recognition of the retirement of our organist for the past 45 years Dr. Butler. Actually he retired officially about a year ago but I kept hoping that he would change his mind. Unfortunately he hasn’t, so I thought that now would be a great time to show him our appreciation for his many years of service to the church.

Tomorrow also marks another day of retirement, and that is for my best friend and mentor Ron, who will be preaching his last sermon tomorrow and then he will attend a dinner held in his honor up in Waldron, IN.

So, tomorrow will be a wonderful day of celebration as well as a day of sadness as I say goodbye to two dear friends. As soon as the service is over for Ron, he and his wife will be officially moving to Gatlinburg to retire in the mountains. I must say that I bounce back and forth between being incredibly happy for them, sad that they are going and very jealous that it isn’t me:) I am just happy that Dr. Butler isn’t going anywhere, at least one of my retiring friends is staying put.

Join me in keeping both of these wonderful men in your prayers. They have each had a major impact on my life and I will always be grateful for what I have learned from them.

Blessings!

No comments: