Thursday, August 14, 2008

Gutenberg vs Google


Gutenberg vs. Google

I must admit that the learning curve has been rather steep over the past few days as I have fought an ill equipped battle against the computer and internet in an effort to move into the 21st Century and create this blog. I was informed by a fellow seminarian last week during an intensive summer session that there are two groups of people, the “Gutenberg Generation” and the “Google Generation.” Let me take a moment to describe these groups to you. Of course Gutenberg was the inventor of the printing press in 1440 which has been suggested to be the most profound invention of the last millennium, He was also credited with printing the world’s first book using this new technology, the Gutenberg Bible.

You know that you are a part of the Gutenberg Generation when you have no idea how to turn a computer on. Another indicator that you might be a part of the Gutenberg Generation is if you have no idea what a “Google” is. When I am assigned a task in seminary which requires downloading an electronic text and reading it, I always print it out, which is another tendency of those in the Gutenberg Generation. We simply like to hold the book in our hands. Another example could be found while I was showing Karen (my wife) my Blog, she commented on how it gave her a headache to read the text on the computer screen, which once again demonstrates that she, like me, is a part of the Gutenberg Generation.

Now, as for being a part of the Google Generation, well that is easy. If you know what Google is, that is a first step in placing yourself in this category. (For those of you who are of the Gutenberg persuasion, Google is an Internet search engine. What’s a search engine? Oh never mind, it’s just some of that internet stuff, it’s not worth worrying about) I can tell you that all of my kids, as well as yours, are from the Google Generation. My kids are all on “My Space,” and “Face Book,” they all have had blogs for several years and they are all great sources of information when it comes to setting the clock on the VCR or trying to set up my own blog. Even my grandkids have spent time online. Mary and Andrew (my grandkids) have both been raised sitting on my son Ben’s lap as he plays the most recent beta version of his computer games or trouble shoots and reboots his computer after viewing the inopportune “Blue Screen of Death.” (Do you like the way I throw that Google Generation lingo around almost like I know what I am talking about?) If given the choice between reading a book and surfing online, they will choose online almost every time, except for when they can’t take their computer with them, then a book will have to do.

The most troublesome aspect of the Google Generation that I have run across occurred in the chapel service a few weeks ago. One of my fellow classmates stood to read the scripture during the worship service and instead of opening a Bible, he turned on his Palm Pilot. Talk about a culture shock! I also watched Bishop Coyner do the same thing earlier this summer. Oh my! I have such a long way to go to fit into the Google Generation.

I must say that I have been working very hard to leave at least a few of my Gutenberg tendencies behind me as I continue to learn this new technology. I still haven’t figured out why texting is a good thing, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to play games on their phone. (I can barely see the screen) But with that being said, it is truly my hope that as I continue to share my life and experiences with you through this blog, that as with all things, there can be good and their can be bad. The jury is still out on this one.
Blessings!