Sunday, August 24, 2008

A day in the life...




This has been quite a weekend for us. First of all I found out that I am going to die. Well, perhaps that might be a little melodramatic. Saturday morning Karen and I went for our annual health insurance checkups. I really do despise going to those, even if I know that they are for my own good. Unfortunately, my blood pressure was up, my glucose was a bit high, my triglycerides were high, my bad cholesterol was high and my good cholesterol was low. Oh my, the way they made it sound I have one foot already in the grave. So immediately following this bit of bad news, we went to The Olive Garden to drown our sorrows in pasta and breadsticks.

Saturday evening we had the opportunity to attend Cana’s Ice Cream Social. Now that was a great evening! Ben and Crystal and the grandkids were there. We talked and ate and just had a wonderful time sharing life together, and after all of that excitement I had a chance to watch my favorite NASCAR race of the year, the night race at Bristol. I must say that the race didn’t disappoint me and my favorite driver Jeff Gordon finished in 5th so all in all not a bad day.

Today, Odie made his debut in church during the children’s message and he was a great hit. The children’s message is always one of my favorite parts of the worship service. If you have never had the opportunity to look at those beautiful, fresh, young faces as they hear about the love of Christ, you don’t know what you are missing. Through the years I have often felt that I have received as much of a blessing from the children’s message as I have the sermons. To make the day even more special, today’s sermon was more of a dramatic presentation which seemed to be well received and a great blessing to me.

Tomorrow is Karen’s Birthday which is a bit sad because tomorrow is also the first day back to Seminary. So, instead of being able to spend the day with Karen, I will be spending it in the car heading back to Ohio. However, we are planning to get up early and go to our favorite restaurant, Cracker Barrel, for breakfast.

I try hard to remember John Lennon’s line that “life is what happens while we are making other plans.” I pray that I always remember that it is the joy in the small things that makes for a wonderful life.

Blessings

No comments: