Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to School...



Today I made the journey back over to Ohio to begin what I hope will be my last year as I work toward my Masters of Divinity degree. As I look back on how I have gotten to this point, I realize that the only way that I am sitting here in my dorm room in Delaware Ohio, is though the strength and grace of God. I have told may people over the past couple of years, when asked how close to graduation I was, that I needed about three or four more miracles in order to graduate. This answer was always received by a chuckle or some other disparaging response such as that I must be going for Sainthood if I was waiting for miracles.

The truth is that there was absolutely nothing humorous or joking about my answer. When I was asked about how much longer I had in school, I was very serious that I needed these miracles to occur or I could not possibly finish school, let alone graduate. As I look back over these last few semesters, I have watched as one by one these miracles have occurred in my life. I have watched as God has met or exceeded each need as it has appeared and blessed me beyond my wildest dreams. Sometimes I have wondered if God could possibly have another miracle to give to me, and each time God has continued to be faithful and bless me more than I could have imagined.

In addition, in the last few months I have experienced some devastating situations, and each time I have asked how God could have possibly allowed this to happen. Each time I have wondered if I had somehow strayed from the path and wandered away from the road that God wanted me to take. However, like fire strengthens iron, I have found those things which I initially thought were devastating circumstances, have proven to be important if not critical keys in allowing me to continue the ministry which God has put before me.

I began today by saying that I am back at school, sitting here only by the grace of God. I am now down to needing only one more miracle. The journey ahead over the next 11 months is long, and the road is rocky and at times looks downright scary. But God has proven himself to me over and over again, each time allowing me to put more and more trust and confidence in Him and each time allowing me to simply put my future in God’s hands.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said “If God is your co-pilot then you are in the wrong seat.” My prayer is that I continue to allow God to be the pilot of my life and the captain of my ship.

Blessings

No comments: