Friday, August 15, 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly


When I began this blog, I committed to share my journey with anyone who was interested in traveling along with me, both the good and the bad. Well yesterday I found that I need to add one more adjective to my list; ugly. In my role as seminary student, pastor, and candidate for ministry in the United Methodist Church, I spend a great deal of time in contemplation and reflection, this can sometimes be good, bad or sometimes even ugly depending on what I happen to be reflecting on.

Yesterday, I appeared before the District Board of Ordained Ministry seeking their blessing to begin the Commissioning process. Commissioning, is my next step in the journey thorough the Candidacy for ministry process.

First of all let me share the good. It was such a blessing to meet with the pastors who serve on the board, especially when I realize that they gave up their time and gas money to come to Columbus for only one reason and that was to meet with me and talk with me about my call.

The bad part for me was looking forward as the board members meticulously set before me the path toward ordained ministry. They lovingly explained each step and obstacle that lay ahead on my journey and, as best as they could, attempted to calm my fears as I gazed for a moment down the road that awaits me.

The ugly part was the necessary reflection, looking back at past mistakes and seeking to draw lessons and learn from them. It is never pleasant to expose your faults and flaws to the light of day. If given the choice I would much rather keep them tucked away in the dark. But with that being said, let me quote from Karen’s favorite philosopher, Barry Manilow, “I learned more from failure than I learned from success, I learned from no thank-you so much more than from yes.” So in reality, as I look back, I realize that I have learned a great deal, and that even in past failure, God has always been right there with me, and as the story of the White Horse demonstrates, nothing by itself is necessarily good or bad, only God knows the answer to that.

So, what happened? I was approved by the board to request the Commissioning packet from the Annual Conference and begin the process of reading, reflecting and writing which has truly become a part of who I am now. As I look down the road, gazing at all of the obstructions and obstacles that lay ahead, I am comforted by one thought that I preached about a year ago. If the road that is before you is green and plush and easy, get off quickly, you are on the wrong road. If the road that you are traveling on is difficult, challenging, long and arduous, then know that is the path set by God, the path that leads to the cross.
Blessings

No comments: