Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Do You Believe in Miracles?


Sunday evening as I watched the Olympic Torch being extinguished, concluding an exciting and sometimes controversial Olympic Games, there was one moment that stood out for me, from among the myriad of Olympic images. It was in the 400 meter freestyle relay, it seemed nearly certain that Michael Phelps hope of 8 Gold Medals was over. With just one length of the pool to go, Jason Lezak, the old man of the US swim team, was about half a body length behind the French swimmer, Alain Bernard. Of course we remember him because he was the guy who said that the French were going to crush the Americans. (Yeah, like that is likely to happen) But, at the wall it is Lezak who out touches Bernard in the fastest relay leg in history to keep Phelps’ hope alive.

That reminded me of another moment in Olympic history that I found myself yelling and screaming at the TV and that was back in 1980 when the US Ice Hockey Team won what was not only an improbable Gold Medal against the best “professional” teams in the world, but some would have considered the US chances as impossible. I still remember the announcer, Al Michaels' asking the question “Do you believe in Miracles?” as the US team won their Gold Medal securing for themselves a permanent place in history as well as in the hearts of all Americans.

Do you believe in miracles? Now that is an intriguing question. Most people say that they do, but isn’t believing in miracles also being willing to ask for them or even expect them? Sometimes in the seminary, academic environment it can become a challenge to express your beliefs. I remember writing a paper on Blind Bartimaeus, making some point about the miracle of healing that took place. I was greatly chastised by the professor for having the audacity to believe the possibility that the story could in reality simply be based on a real event that took place and was recorded by the Gospel Writer. His view was that all miracle stories never really happened and that they are only allegories, metaphors or literary devices used by the Gospel writers to make a point. (Yeah Right!)

Anyway, his opinion aside, I certainly do believe in miracles, and I also believe that they are just as common today as they were back in biblical times. It is difficult to read the book of Acts without asking the question, “Why don’t we see these types of miracles today?” My opinion is that we do. The only difference between our times and those of Acts, is that they recognized the miracles for what they were, blessings from God. They were constantly giving God credit and thanking God for the gifts that they received. Today we are more likely to say, “Wow was I lucky!” or “It’s a good thing I didn’t walk out my door 30 seconds sooner or I would have been involved in that accident for sure.”

Miracles are taking place all around you. Today, I challenge you to open your eyes, your minds and your hearts to the glory, power and majesty of Jesus Christ, and know that God wants to do a miracle in your life today!

Blessings

1 comment:

Unknown said...

jim, you are a blogging machine. i must catch up.