Saturday, January 3, 2009

"E" is for Emergency!


Well, it is 7:00 AM on Saturday morning and instead of still being in my nice warm bed, I have been up and going for over an hour. I think that everything is just about ready. I am packed, and my list of things to get done is getting shorter and shorter. Ben and Crystal will be here around 9:00AM and we should be pretty much ready to load the car and go.

I think that the only time that I have ever been this stressed over a trip would be when Ben and I went to Canada fishing. I understood that when the float plane dropped us off at our cabin on a remote lake that other than putting this gigantic "E" (for emergency) down on the dock, and wait for one of the planes flying overhead to see it, there was no way to contact anyone in the outside world. At least on this trip I have a few more options than that. Although maybe not many more.

I will tell you that the pilots in Canada were pretty amusing. They told us that if we were having a real emergency to put the orange side of the "E" facing up and any pilot who sees it regardless of what company they work for will stop immediately. If we were just running low on Colman fuel or gas for the boat then put the green side of the "E" up and they will fly over once per day just to check on us. Then they get this very stern look on their face and say. "RUNNING OUT OF BEER DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A "REAL" EMERGENCY!" Of course we don't drink anyway, but I have to laugh wondering how many times they have landed, breaking away from what may have been very important flights just to hear someone say, "Hey could you bring us some beer eh?"

As I think about the next couple of weeks, I sure hope that I won't have to put the orange side of the "E" out. That could be a problem anyway, because I don't know where I could even find a boat dock in El Salvador:)

I will plan to write one more time tonight probably while I am relaxing in my dorm room watching the Colts play in their first playoff game.

Blessings

No comments: