Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day 1 Early Morning


I have decided that the best way to share with you my experiences in El Salvador is to share my journal with you. I will try to post at least one day of my journal each day over the next couple of weeks. This will also help me to organize my thoughts while I can still read my handwriting. It really is worse than my spelling. The first journal entry begins at 2:45 AM on January 4th. I had just gotten up and was waiting for the van to arrive and take us to the airport.

January 4, 2009 2:45 AM

It is difficult to describe how I am feeling this morning. Well, perhaps not. For one thing, I am really tired. After getting only about two hours of sleep last night because I decided to stay up and watch the Colts all too early exit from the playoffs, hopefully I will get some sleep on the plane. On the other hand, I can now say that I am ready to turn 100% of my attention to the journey ahead.

Why have I been so slow to embrace this journey? I’m not sure that I have an answer to that question. Why in one breath can I understand that this trip is the opportunity of a lifetime and in the next, resist with all of my being any desire to even go on this odyssey? Good question!

Perhaps the answers that I am looking for can be found 3000 miles away in El Salvador. One funny aspect about this trip is that when people have asked me why I chose El Salvador, I have to answer that El Salvador actually chose me. I was originally scheduled to go to Guatemala, but that trip was full so our group was bumped to El Salvador. So, if I truly believe that El Salvador picked me, what does that say about God’s plan for me to go on this journey?

Well, I am about to see if those answers can be found all the way down in Central America. All of the planning is done, it’s time to go!

No comments: