Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Oh My! What Have We Done?


Next week will be a momentous occasion. Our little Grandson Andrew will turn 3 years old. As we were deciding what to get him, there was really only one thing that came to mind that he truly couldn’t live without and that is a drum set of his very own. First of all let me explain that Andrew is not just an everyday boy who likes to beat on pots and pans with wooden spoons. Andrew is already an accomplished musician.

There is nothing that he loves to do more than drum, much to the chagrin of his parents. He drums when he gets up in the morning, at the meal tables and he even drums when he is asleep. He drums with cool whip bowls and cooking spoons or drinking straws on the table at restaurants. Once, when he couldn’t find suitable drum sticks, he took the legs off his sister’s Barbie’s and used those. The remarkable thing about his ability is that he is actually very good, for a 3 year old. He looks like a drummer when he plays, he acts like a drummer, and if he plays along to music (which isn’t necessary to make him happy), he can even keep a steady beat. (Karen was impressed that he seemed to enjoy playing along to Barry Manilow, Copacabana is his favorite:)

Of course as a Christian we certainly don’t believe in reincarnation, but if we did, there is no doubt in my mind that Andrew would have been a famous drummer in a past life:)

So with that in mind, Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa decided that it was time to put away the childish Cool Whip bowls and wooden spoons and give the boy an official drum set. Yes, you heard correctly, Mom and Dad not only supported the decision but recommended it. (I think that we may need to pick up some ear plugs for Mom and Dad) You have to believe me when I tell you that drumming is this boy’s life and no one knows that better than Mom and Dad and they knew that there is nothing on earth that would make him any happier than his own drums.

So, this Sunday at 2:00, if you hear a very loud excited scream, followed by a loud incessant banging sound coming from around Ben and Crystal’s house, don’t worry, it will only be Andrew taking his musical talent to the next level.

May God forgive us for what we have done:)


Blessings

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, kudos to the parents for going along with the drum set; hopefully, they won't regret it! My parents were quite the troopers when I learned to tap dance. My father said he'd be willing to pay for the lessons as long as I practiced - and boy did I practice. The room above the living room was the best spot because of the hardwood floors. I also tapped while standing in line at the store, I tapped when setting the table, I tapped everywhere. I'm sure I drove everyone crazy with all that practicing but nobody complained. One of the joys of parenting (and grandparenting) is seeing children do the things they love.

Pastor Jim said...

Nancy,
Our daughter Terri took tap lessons as well and I will never forget her first dance recital. It was at a nursing home just before Christmas and my job was to run the video camera. When I saw her in that little outfit and concentrating so hard, I could hardly look through the view finder for the tears in my eyes. I bet your parents were just as proud of you:)

Ben said...

As long as he is willing to keep it back in his bedroom his parents don't have any problem with him drumming... its when it starts migrating one piece at a time into the living room where we are trying to watch TV that the problems will begin hehe